Tuesday, May 28, 2013

HATS OFF TO THE END OF MAY

THE MONTH OF MAY COMES TO A CLOSE IN TENNESSEE This has been an unusual Spring season in the mid south. We've had a LOT of rain and cooler than average temperatures. While bothersome to many, I suppose, the change in climate, though short-lived, is a welcome one to me. We've been able to keep windows and doors open during the daytime and into the night. This old house is poorly insulated and the breezes help cool and heat the interior. I enjoy having the house open to the outdoors. So, I've enjoyed this particular Spring. As the month ends, so do the mild temperatures. Very soon, we will have to keep everything closed up and turn on the AC units - 2 window units and one portable, vented unit. Going outside will be limited to early mornings and late evenings or short spans during the day. I hope we will not suffer from water famine as we did last year. I collect and save rainwater to water plants with, but then I have to worry about mosquito larvae breeding in it, so have to be sure to use it fairly quickly. June tends to be a dry month, with grass, now green and lush, becoming brittle and sparse. The hubby, who does the mowing is looking forward to that aspect of summer. I, who prefer to walk barefoot, do not. But I get where he's coming from. Summertime Blues Here's my list of summertime woes: 1. I don't have a pool. 2. The pool in town has no shade and it's too crowded. 3. The car is too hot when you get into it and takes too long to cool off. 4. My fair skin can't take the sun for long and I loathe wearing gobs of sunblock. 5. Flies,chiggers and ticks. (Did I mention I live in the country?) 6. I have to wear less clothing and I need to drop a few kilos. Here's my list of summertime yays!: 1. It will soon be fall. OH, TO AGAIN SAVOR THE JOYS OF SUMMERTIME AS A CHILD When I was a kid, summer meant a rewarding break from school. It meant days and early evenings of outdoor play with neighbors and friends. It meant family get-togethers and bbq's with corn on the cob, hot dogs and watermelon. All eaten outside, no one to make you clean your plate or watch your manners. It meant days at the beach (I grew up on the New Jersey shore), days at the neighbor's pool, days reading in a tree (one of my favorite summer pasttimes), evenings catching fireflies and keeping them in your darkened room, watching them as you fought off demon sleep. Now that my kids are grown, summer has lost a lot of its meaning. School in, school out, didn't much matter, except for hearing the bus come so early in the morning. But now, I have a grandson who just graduated from Kindergarten. His first summer vacation is now here. We have, so far, spent time together at the park, took a walk to the creek, and spent a few hours playing board games. I'm hoping some of that enthusiasm for SUMMER! will rub off on me. I think - I hope - it will.

1 comment:

  1. I hated the summer months in TN. I used to live in Clarksville and about 3 or 4 years ago there was that real bad heatwave and our AC went out. The same thing happened again last year before we moved to Charlotte, NC. The summers there are BRUTAL so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete